Happy Birthday Danny!
Just some thoughts for today...
We don't get to see each other very often. But that does not mean that I do not think of you. I have many special memories.... that come to my heart and mind.
I think today I may just list a few...
I remember :
- sitting on the steps in Oldfield and both of us having the hiccups and trying to sing. Then laughing our heads off.
- falling on my bike (the really large scar on my knee) and you helping me to clean it up and putting bactine on it.
- going to Wind Creek every AEA (that is what we used to call Spring Break) and going swimming no matter how cold it was!
- watching you play baseball.
- you pitching a perfect game! I was so proud!
- cheering for you on the PACKERS - and going to Panama City for a "bowl" game -(or for some reason - lol!) Regardless... I was cheering you on!!!!!
- us both going to Birmingham to spend a week with Damon and Johnny in the summer (swimming in the pool in the park behind their house)
- and then going back to Larry's/Cindy's for you and Martha's/Buddy's for me (swimming at the pool at the apartment complex down the road)
- Larry spending the entire summer "watching" us when we lived on the Old Rockhouse Road.
- Fishing at the pond behind our house - or maybe I should say - you fishing - and me watching!
- Our pony
- the family camping at Wind Creek.
- going with our youth group from the church for a day at the lake. You and I were sitting on the cable that marked the swimming area.... and there was a storm coming and the lightening flashed in the distance and we both felt the shock on the cable and took off for the shore. You waited on me.
- The "Quarry Stompers" - Danny, DeeDee, Donnie, Peggy, Sam, Mikey, Mike, Gray - remind me - who else?
- the tree house - the double decker- and you guys trying to keep Peggy and me out...it didn't work. We enjoyed your hard work :)
- camping out in the front yard - Peggy and me in the camper - You, Donnie, Sam (and probably Gray and Mike too) in a tent. You guys could build a good camp fire. And then you tried to scare us. Boys will always be boys huh?
- you coming to pick me up from a JV ballgame - and some "bully" big guys had scared me.... and when I got in the car and told you about it... You took off around the block to go back and take care of them for me. I had to BEG you to just go home.
- you shaving your beard for my wedding (that was the last time huh?). Just because it did not look like my big brother to me - yet :) Then you paid for my pictures.
- you helping us move from Birmingham back to Sylacauga. We looked like the "Beverly Hillbillies" moving on that flatbed truck. And your Dodge truck loaded down too! ha!
- helping you do all of your Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve. (Julia has continued that tradition with Jonathan - or maybe I should say - Jonathan has continued that tradition with Julia)
- cutting your hair, especially those times when we would come home from Texas - and I would trap you in that little bathroom - and cut away - and talk your ears off.
- being there with you at the hospital when Stephanie had her wreck and then watching you take such good care of her as she recovered.
- coming to the Golf Course - for Creative Memories - and loving the time to visit with you.
- the family pictures at Christmas (along with yours and Dena's videos - I still think we could win some money for some of those!)
- "Can you hear me?" - just watching you guys have such fun with your presents!
- being at the hospital for Dad's last surgery and the week that followed with us all in the waiting room.
- me, you and Paul standing with Mother as we said our final good-byes to Daddy.
And there have been many many more - So - today - as I tell you Happy Birthday - I also tell you thank you. For many special memories. For always knowing that you were there and that you still are just a phone call away. I love you more than I think I can even express. And I am so thankful for the wonderful storehouse of memories that we share. We are so blessed!
I love you Danny!
Hope you have a wonderful day!