Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesdays Together (#21)

Welcome to TUESDAYS TOGETHER (in the WORD). I am so glad that you have joined us.

Our goal/purpose is that we are reading God's Word and we are sharing with each other a "nugget" of what we are learning. Join with us - at any time. We welcome your comments and/or your thoughts of what you have read and/or your link to your blog post. You do not have to be a "blogger" to join in on the encouragement and sharing together.


This week our reading (as posted on the sidebar under the button) was from Psalm 46-49; Philippians 1-4; and Colossians 1.

It was really hard to decide which passage I wanted to share with you this week. But I kept coming back to this one... and for a reason:


Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always;
again I will say, Rejoice.
Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.
The Lord is at hand;
do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving let your
requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God,
which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your
minds in Christ Jesus.

We begin here with the command to Rejoice in the Lord...

And then verse 6 is a very familiar verse for us all: "Do NOT be anxious about anything," I really think a key word here is ANYTHING. We are not to be anxious about anything. You fill in the blank. Your anything... don't be anxious about it. Period.

Then as we move on in the passage, we see the how - to. We are to pray and with THANKSGIVING give our requests to our God. And the result of doing so? THE PEACE OF GOD - which surpasses all understanding will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus.

There are many things in our world that can make us anxious. Just watch the news - for a few minutes. There is the crime in our own particular state or county or city. There are new threats from Korea. Then there are those of us who have soldiers currently serving... news daily about Iraq or Iran or Afghanistan or Pakistan. And what about the economy? Could you be anxious about that? Your IRA (or lack thereof?). The recession that could easily become a depression. Jobs or no jobs? Children who may be making wrong decisions. And the list could go on and on and on. That is what is meant by anything. We are not to be anxious about ANYTHING.

A time to take it to the alter and leave it there - with thanksgiving - I remind you. And see what our anxious thoughts are replaced with... PEACE. Peace. Real peace.

I needed this passage this week. I am writing this on Monday night. Memorial Day. I needed it today. It was a good day. A good lunch. And then taking Aubrey for her first swim of the season. Such fun. Hal and I got flowers planted... :) And even had our Monday evening "Starbucks" time.

But my heart was heavy. You see last year on Memorial day, we were at the lake with our family rejoicing that Jonathan was at home from war. Such a sweet memory. This year the dull ache is back. And I must say it is too soon for me. Today that is my "anything".

So, I needed this passage... I must take my anxious thoughts... straight to my Father. And leave it there.... with thanksgiving. And let Him wrap me up with His Peace. Oh, God, I want Your peace to guard my heart and my mind. Peace...


Now, your turn.

Remember... leave a comment... share your thoughts... and if you blog - link with us. Also, please post a link back here so that others can come and read the other Tuesdays Together posts. You can use the button on the side bar if you would like.





3 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

I loved how God timed this post for you DeeDee. My prayer is that you will not be anxious as it is so easy to do with a child in the service, but that God will give you a peace about it. I truly enjoyed your post, and thanks so much for hosting this each week. I love going into His Word!

My post is up.

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

We were of the same mind this week, sweet sister. I wrote on the same topic...and with a similar message (at least in part of my post!) Praying for His continued peace during this time...and praying for your boy...you have been on my heart and mind often lately. Especially during the Memorial Day ceremonies.

Love to you,
Kelly

Jennifer said...

This is the second post on peace I have read this evening...God is reminding me of His promise - and I just need to claim it! Thanks for helping me notice it.