Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Is Facebook an Addiction?

I am still having trouble getting back into the routine of blogging on a consistent basis.

It is not that I do not have things to blog about. I have several going on in this head of mine.

I think the truth of the matter is that I have spent entirely too much time on Facebook.

Now, I am not saying that I am against it or that I plan to take a break from it. No, I really am so thankful for my FB connections. It has given me the opportunity to re-connect with long lost friends. It is a wonderful way to connect with those in our present day "world." ie - church family. It is such a good way to stay connected with our REAL (flesh and blood) family.

It is simply a way to know and be known. Does that make any sense?

While I might not have the time (or actually take the time) to write a letter. I may not even have/take the time to write an email. But when I sign on my Facebook page, I can quickly see an update on the people in my life. Then I have the opportunity to respond or not. It only takes a minute. The connection is made.

Today is a good example. I had just talked to my Jonathan by IM. My heart was aching. I posted about it on my status:


once again... time with my soldier this morning on IM... makes me happy and sad... I just hate it when he says "my time is up... I have to go"

I sit and stare at the screen... and pray...




And the support/connections began. Such sweet manna to this Mother's heart. Support. Love. Prayers. None of which took much time - from me or from my fb world. But it was real. And it blessed me more than can be expressed.

So, I have no intentions to give up my Facebook.

But... I may need to limit my time there.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, it's an addiction, just like anything else can be! I have all the "tend to" games on FB that I do!

We need to be all connected on FB though :-).

DeeDee said...

You are right Cathy - I have just sent a friend request to you on FB... Look forward to connecting with you there also :)

Renae said...

Oh, that made me get tears in my eyes. Yes, I'm grateful that technology can connect us with those we love. May God protect and bless Jonathan.

Beth Herring said...

I don't facebook myself, not really sure how to do it so I just stick to blogland.

I will pray for you and for you sweet son. May I put his name on my prayer blog?

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

I love facebook! Didn't know you were on! I've missed you, girl...

Been very busy here...can't visit everyone as often as I would like to.

Still praying for you and your sweet warrior...

And...your beautiful family...

Meredith said...

yes, please don't give up your facebook, the connections are certainly necessary......now I feel guilty about not getting on everyday-heehee
Your description of communication time with J brought tears to my eyes. Heartfelt. I always disliked that part of the phone call-- "I gotta go". Sometimes I would just sit and listen to the dial tone for a few.......

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.altmededu.com/]alternative medicine courses India[/url]
[url=http://www.altmedschool.com/]alternative medicine degree[/url]
[url=http://www.altmedschool.com/]alternative medicine degrees[/url]
[url=http://altmedschool.com/]alternative medicine courses[/url]