Thursday, August 20, 2009

Readers Write...Writers Read

I have heard this particular saying several times in the last few months. Maybe it is because I have been reading/studying more about "writing." Hence, I have read several who have made that statement: "Readers write and writers read." Interesting.

Then I find as I read, it gives the prompting to write. Often, I just want to share with you here in blogland what has touched me as I have read. So I would have to agree with the statement. As I read, I want to write. After I write, I want to read more.

Saying all of that leads me to the main point of this post. I want to share with you a quote that I have read recently. It is marked in my book and I have returned and read it several times. Actually, when I pick the book up to read again, I first turn to this page and read this quote again. I think I am trying to digest.




Ministry is when the people who hear you don't want more of you, they want more of Him because of what you have said.

When you point them to God's fire instead of trying to get attention for yourself--that's ministry.

Often our thoughts run to "what do they think of me?" when what we should be concerned with is, "what do they think of Him?"



This is from Pricilla Shirer's book, He Speaks to Me. (pg 56)

Now for those of you who are not in full-time ministry... do not excuse yourself thinking that this is not for you too. Certainly not. We are all called to be Ministers of God's Grace to our world. Our world consists of our homes (with our immediate families), our church (with our church family and in the area where we are called to work), our vocational work (with our co-workers and/or our boss), and then those that we touch as we go along (like those who wait on us at restaurants... check us out in the grocery store... help us at the mall, etc.)

Do you see what I am talking about?

Ministry. Pointing others to our Lord. In such a way that they will desire more of Him.

Ministry. Let's do it-- to the best of our ability and to the Glory of God.

As I read, I share with you.

Readers write, writers read.


4 comments:

Kelly Ellison said...

I am so proud of you for posting three days in a row! Each day your post has been exactly what I needed to read. I have also not been blogging as much but instead spending more time on facebook. Facebook is a good tool to keep in touch and reconnect to old friends but it is in the blogs that you can really share your heart and the things that the Lord is showing you. Thank you for sharing your heart!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Amen to this post...a thousand AMENS!

The title is true...and the words on ministry also very true...and inspiring. My desire is to point others toward the Lord...but I often battle thoughts of my own performance. "Did I sound O.K.? Did I say the right words...perform the song correctly? Were people happy with my performance?" I know this shouldn't be the focus...but sometimes those thoughts creep in, and I pray through them. It's not about me, it's about Him. Love the quote you shared!

Thank you...

Anonymous said...

I have just finished a book titled "The Same Kind Of Different As Me". It is a true story of a homeless black man and a rich art dealer from Texas and how God changes their lives. It is amaazing how God changes lives when we reach outside of our small circles and reach out to others.
Vicki Pounders

Tricia said...

That is a good quote DeeDee... thanks for sharing.

Blessings!