Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Written Word is truly the LIVING Word of God...


We have just received word from our Soldier Son that he will soon be boarding his plane for the first leg of his journey home. This is the end of his second deployment.


In 2007, the day that he was actually leaving the USA to begin his first deployment, I posted a blog about my personal devotion. We had open house in our new church and my emotions were fragile to say the least. During my time in the Word that morning before I began my day, God so clearly spoke to my heart, and I scribbled my promise on a piece of paper. I literally held on to it all day. You can read the entire post here.


As I sat today, opened my Bible and my "read-through" plan for this year, I was taken to Psalms 73. It is a different Bible than I was reading in 2007 and an entirely different reading plan. But the passage once again JUMPED off the page - straight to my heart. Verse 26: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever"


I just stared for a few minutes. How amazing - the very verse given to me for strength and encouragement as he began his first deployment - was the exact same verse given once again today - as He is at the END of his second deployment. I did not orchestrate this. I did not go to this passage just to read it again. Like I said, it was a different Bible AND a different reading plan. To be perfectly honest, I did not even remember that this was where my original promise was found.
It was if God was so clearly speaking to me and reminding me that He is true to His Word. He gave me a promise to hold on to and the promise is still true.


The Living Word...


Given so freely - to speak so clearly - when we simply take the time to hear.


He IS the strength of my heart. He IS my portion forever. I choose to HOLD ON...even when my flesh and my heart may fail.


My heart is full. My emotions are once again fragile.


But today it is from an entirely different perspective.





5 comments:

Linda said...

Dee Dee I am thrilled to see this post today, telling us about your son returning home soon! That is wonderful news and my heart sings along with yours!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Meredith said...

Precious Living Words!! Yay- I have been including Jonathan in our prayers with John Ryan at night. When he lands on AMerican soil, there will be a collective sigh as we all stop holding our breath!! I am thrilled for all of you!!

Once A Mother said...

such wonderful news! welcome home hero!

Dorcas said...

Wonderful news! I am so happy for you! Our pastor was deployed and just got back this January. What a Joy!!!!

~blessings

Dorcas

Unknown said...

very inspiring!God talks to us in mysterious ways. He is our strength really. thanks for sharing!