Monday, May 5, 2008

Forgiveness

Here is a quote from the book, Forgive and Forget, by Lewis B. Smedes:

When we forgive, we perform a miracle hardly anyone notices:

  • We do it alone - in the private place of our inner selves


  • We do it silently - no one can record our miracle on tape


  • We do it invisibly - no one can record our miracle on film


  • We do it freely - no one can ever trick us into forgiving someone


But when we forgive, we heal the hurt we never deserved.


Scripture says in Colossians 3:13," Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.


Now...you may be wondering why I am blogging about this ??? I guess I just need to say that it is an area in our lives that is hard... and yet so necessary. I once read - "We never look more like Christ than when we forgive: since that's God's goal, we're destined for plenty of opportunities!"


Beth Moore says it so well in her book, Praying God's Word, (pg 220):


Let's face it. Each of us has been confronted by some pretty overwhelming challenges to forgive. Some seem...well, unforgivable. We argue with God that all inflicted hurts are not created equally. For instance, sometimes the person who hurt us isn't sorry. Or won't take responsiblity. Or is in the grave. Or the person might be sorry but refuses to recompense. Perhaps the person simply doesn't deserve our forgiveness. After all, forgiveness makes everything OK, and we want the record to show; we're not OK!.... If only we could understand that God's unrelenting insistence on our forgiveness is for our own sakes, not the sake of the one who hurt us. God is faithful. He will plead our case and take up our cause... but only when we make a deliberate decision to cease representing ourselves in the matter.

Time restraints once again keep me from continuing with this today... Maybe that means this is all that I need to say for now.

So, I will leave you with this. Don't try to figure out why I am writing about it today. My issues are my issues. Let the Lord help you with yours if applicable in your life at this time.

Love to you all!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey DeeDee
What a timely blog! I have an answered prayer regarding unforgiveness!! Praise the Lord!! I will share more this afternoon... see you then!

Anonymous said...

ouch! wrote for me!