Thursday, March 26, 2009

2009 Scripture Memory # 5 and # 6

With all that has taken place in my life this past month, I have gotten behind in my posts for my Scripture memory. So, I am combining these two which should have been for March 1st and March 15th. Maybe I will be able to get back on track by April 1st.

Continuing on with Psalm 91...

Psalm 91:3
For he will deliver you
from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly
pestilence.
Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with
his pinions,
and under his wings you
will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a
shield and buckler.

Yes, these are promises that I claimed for Jonathan EVERY day of his deployment. And will do so again. But, as always, scripture is alive and active and applicable to our lives today.

This is what the Matthew Henry commentary had to say about this passage:

"He that by faith chooses God for his protector, shall find all in him that he needs or can desire. And those who have found the comfort of making the Lord their refuge, cannot but desire that others may do so. The spiritual life is protected by Divine grace from the temptations of Satan, which are as the snares of the fowler, and from the contagion of sin, which is a noisome pestilence. Great security is promised to believers in the midst of danger."

So, whatever your snares, or temptations, or attacks... We have been promised deliverance. Protection under the wings. That is comfort. And it is HIS FAITHFULNESS that is our shield.

That is good stuff!

I think I will chew on it for a while... and continue working on memorizing it. :)


5 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Great thoughts, DeeDee! I love these verses, such promise there. The commentary by MH is awesome, isn't it?

Tricia said...

I love the commentary on that portion of scripture... powerful! Thanks for sharing it!

Blessings!

Linda said...

Dee Dee, I have an award for you on my blog. Go there and pick it up and then pick 10 of your favorite blogs that display attitudes of gratitude! Pass it on to them and then link them back to me so I can read their blogs and they can read mine.

Thanks!
Linda

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Matthew Henry is opened up quite a bit around here. Yes "good stuff"
The spiritual life is protected by Divine grace --- I want to make sure I am living the spiritual life.
WONDERFUL Scriptures to dwell on . . . .

Meredith said...

I understand your desire to memorize these verses!! Oh I so understand! My prayers are with you as you "go there again".

I like the "noisome pestilence" description in the commentary. So thankful to be be "protected".
Powerful stuff!