Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesdays Together (#13)

Welcome to TUESDAYS TOGETHER (in the WORD).

I am so glad that you have joined us.
Our goal/purpose is that we are reading God's Word and we are sharing with each other a "nugget" of what we are learning. Join with us - at any time. We welcome your comments and/or your "nuggets" of what you have read and/or your link to your blog post. You do not have to be a "blogger" to join in on the encouragement and sharing together.


This week our reading (as posted on the sidebar under the button) was from Proverbs 7-8, Titus, Psalms 32-33, and Philemon. (If you are reading something else - that is perfectly fine... share with us.)


Several years ago... while preparing to speak at a Women's Conference... I decided to memorize Titus. It was a discipline that I had neglected for years. I knew that I would be using part of this book in one of my lessons/sessions. But it was much more than that. I knew that I needed to devote more of my time really "hiding" God's word in my heart. Memorizing was the best way I knew to "hide" it.


The familiar part of Titus for ladies comes from chapter 2:4-5... where we see what the older women are to teach the younger women. And it never fails to speak to me in a new and fresh way when I prepare to teach it. Never been a time that I did not have something new to work on... :) That is the reality of the Living Word making application to my heart.


But... during that season, the passage that was "new" to me was from 2:11-14:



"For the grace of God that brings
salvation has appeared to all men,


teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,
we should live soberly, righteously,
and godly in the present age,


looking for the blessed hope
and glorious appearing of
our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,


who gave Himself for us,
that He might redeem us from every lawless deed
and purify for Himself His own special
people, zealous for good works. "


Henrietta Mears in her book, What the Bible is All About, divides this passage into three parts for us to consider:

(1) Leave the Old Life

(2) Live the New Life

(3) Look for His Glorious Appearing




So lets think about these three point together today.


Leave the old life - deny ungodliness and worldly lusts

It is easy for us to piously say that we are not being ungodly... but really?
Look at the passage from Jude that describes the Ungodly. (verse 16 and then 19)


These (the ungodly) are grumblers... complainers... those who cause divisions....


How easy to get caught up in this... to grumble.. to complain... and in doing so to cause divisions.

Oh we need to Leave the Old life... we must not look/act like the old self ...
like those who do not know Christ.


Live the new life - live soberly, righteously and Godly in this present age.

That really explains itself. Live righteously... live Godly...
Take just a minute and think of a Godly person in your life. I can assure you that it did not just happen. God did not just open their head/heart and pour in Godliness.

No maam... I can assure you when you see/know a Godly person - they have pursued God.
They have pursued Godliness.
It is not only a life style - but a life pursuit.

We are to Live to new life. We have been bought with a price - we are to live as such!


And then...Look for His appearing...
I like to think of this in terms of a bride preparing for her wedding day. I watched both my daughters and my daughter-in-love as soon as the date was set.... the preparations began.

And my what preparations...

From the dress, the flowers, the caterers, the hair. From the music, the musicians, the aisle cloth (or not), the bridemaids, the flower girls. From the work-outs (to fit in the dress) to the nails and on and on and on ...

EVERY SINGLE DETAIL WAS FOR ONE THING...

That one precious moment when the back doors of the church would open and the bride would meet her groom.... She wanted every detail to be perfect...



Oh, it puts chills on my spine as I type this.

We are to look for His Glorious appearing... One day the skies will open and our groom will come for His bride...our preparations need to be in anticipation of that Glorious day.


Can you tell that I get excited about this passage. I could go on and on... but I guess I will stop for now...

Now, your turn.
Remember... leave a comment... share your thoughts... and if you blog - link with us.





8 comments:

Meredith said...

Thank you DeeDee. The pursuit really is the key to good maintenance isn't it? How often do I get lazy in my pursuit? I'm sure that's when the lines blur and I start to look/act like the old life. I like your breakdown--leave, live, and ohhh looky!

Tricia said...

Hey DeeDee
A good and timely post... I agree with Meredith, the pursuit is the key, we need to always be in pursuit of Him...

I am off to work on my post :)

Blessings!

Lucy Mills said...

Hi DeeDee,

What a good idea. I enjoy reading other people's thoughts...I may even add my own occasionally!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today.

Mike said...

A great read.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com

Twitter: AboutParenting

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

DeeDee...I love this post. Especially this:
"No maam... I can assure you when you see/know a Godly person - they have pursued God.
They have pursued Godliness.
It is not only a life style - but a life pursuit.We are to Live to new life. We have been bought with a price - we are to live as such!"

AMEN, SISTER!!!!

And this:
"We are to look for His Glorious appearing... One day the skies will open and our groom will come for His bride...our preparations need to be in anticipation of that Glorious day."

Beautiful truth...beautiful promise...

Love you, sweet friend...

Joyeful said...

It is wonderful to meet you DeeDee! I am so excited about Tuesdays Together in the Word!

I love studying the Word of God and letting His Truth continually change me! This is a wonderful ministry and so very NECESSARY! I can't wait to join in next Tues!

"EVERY SINGLE DETAIL WAS FOR ONE THING..."
What a beautiful picture of the Bride of the Lamb--and my heart is resounding a YES! I want to be that bride who lovingly prepares for her Groom--her Saviour. My heart is so anxious to see his face!

Susan said...

Beautiful words from that sweet book! Thank you for sharing.

Andrea said...

DeeDee, I have so enjoyed visiting your blog and getting to know you. I have been very blessed by your teaching and appreciate your candid presentation of the truth of God's word. I can only pray that I will sincerely strive each day of my life to live a godly life, one that pleases my Savior. I noticed you are from Alabama. I live in Huntsville. My husband is a pastor here. Many blessings to you as you labor in love for Him.

From One Pastor's Wife to Another,

Andrea